TH400 speedo drive gear removal

A

Anonymous

Ok...i finally got to count the teeth on the speedo drive gear. It's 21....damn the luck. There is no driven gear that will work with this unless I have 2.56 gears or 40" tires. Since I'm not building a salt flat racer or a mud truck I guess I'm outa luck...lol

I have the correct 15 tooth drive gear. I did not anticipate this gear being a press on item. :mad:

Anybody got any ideas?

A

Anonymous

I was told there should be a clip but I sure don't feel it in there anywhere. The place I bought the gear from lists it as press on. I hope they are wrong and there is a clip. I'll fool with it more tomorrow.

The new gear is on the shaft closest to the camera

5372_118016721021_516781021_2801044_3543048_n.jpg

blownbigblock

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2006
Traverse City,Michigan
They are press on,some are metal,some are plastic.I cobeled up a two jawed puller and took it off in the car.They come off fairly easily.I installed the new one with a pipe,just be carefull not to crush the new one.Good luck I hope this helps. Art

A

Anonymous

I messed around with it some more and yeah it's pressed on. I ended up putting everything back together. I'm going to look into a mechanical adapter for the speedo. If that is going to cost to much then this will come apart again and I'll be working on getting it off.

327mali

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2009
ocean county,new jersey
if your looking for a mechanical adapter. i think like 80's dualys had them as long as they had a 400. but it would be a ton easier to just hammer the old one off. and hammer a new one on. i swore that there was a little black clip under it but i could be mistaken on the years. im sure you can pick them up at any transmission shop or they could order one in for you including the gear on the end of the speedo cable. i think i pay between 3-10 bucks for them.

A

Anonymous

I have the speedo gears. It's getting the old one off the shaft that I'm having issues with. I might have it figured out after a tip from another member. If I can get it I'll post it here to share it for the info...lol

A

Anonymous

on a whim I did a google search for speedometer gear puller and came up with this:

http://www.etoolcart.com/speedo-gear-puller.aspx

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts