TH400 experts I have a question for you....

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
A friend of mine has a 79 C10 pick up that just had the 620HP GM 572 installed in it. He also had the factory TH400 rebuilt by a local trans shop to supposedly handle 1000HP. He put roughly 15 miles on the truck and drove it like a little old lady, (I was following him so I know). Anyway when he went to take it and try it out the trans didn't feel right so he drove it over to my place and took me for a drive. The transmission was slipping horribly, it didn't feel too bad in 1st gear but 2nd and 3rd were just slushy feeling. So he loaded it on a trailer and took it back to the trans shop. They pulled it apart and said all the clutches were toasted like it had 200,000 miles on it. Now they are telling him that his engine only has 7" of vacuum and that isn't enough and the line pressure is too high (around 200psi) and it will take out the thrust bearing on the crank. They are now going to put in a 4L80E trans of his that was at my house awaiting another one of his projects . I'm not a trans expert by no means but the story from the trans shop sounds fishy to me. I phoned the trans shop myself to see what the owner had to say and he gave me the story of how the vacuum is so low that the line pressure won't go below 200psi and no one makes an adjustable line pressure regulator. I told him I was sure Kilgore makes one. He also told me about the thrust bearing issue. How can the trans push on the thrust bearing unless the convertor balloons up? I really don't think he knows what he's talking about, but I wanted some of you guy's input. Does this mean I better not put a TH400 in my low compression 454 with a big cam? My vaccuum is low too. Is it going to take out my thrust bearing? Something isn't adding up here. Thanks for any input.
John

slim69

Amateur Racer
Mar 7, 2009
Henderson, ky
hes feeding you a load of bs i think there are two guys that i know that are running
572s one is the 620 and the other is the 720 both have 400th behind them both cars have been together for a while no problems

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
Somethings def. not right. It should'nt matter how much vacuum the engine has. If the trans is built for a 1000hp it should'nt still have the vacuum modulator on it. Also 200psi line pressure is fine especially if its cold. It should drop to 165-170 hot. It sounds like they screwed up and dont want to admit it. It could be a problem with the way they installed the valve body esp. if its a full manual. I had a problem with mine slipping into 3rd, the 1st to 2nd shift was fine but it would slip bad into 3rd. My trans guy screwed up and didnt put a check ball in the right place. He was good about it he checked entire trans and its been fine ever since. Everybody makes mistakes. If they are good guys they should admit it and make it right.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts