?'s on swapping the 5.3 or 6.0 into a g-body

Smileys84

Frequent Racer
Dec 8, 2005
Columbus,Ohio
I have been reading alot of info on here about doing the swap but Im getting a little confused about all the info. I want to put this swap into my 84 T-Type and before I decide to do it, I want to know whats all needed
So my questions are and they may seem redundant but hey I have too ask.

What do I actually need for the swap
motor mounts
trans adaptor
crossmember
radiator
headers
oil pan

A few other ?'s I had

Will either of these motors fit without removing the heater box or is that history. and is one engine easier to install than the other.

How does the t56 or 4l60e work in place of a th350 or 400 transmission and what mods are required for that swap and drive shaft requirements and if I run a 350 or 400 I knows theirs an adaptor plate you use but how about a converter.

Any wiring modifications need done.

Can I use the fuel tank out of my t-type to accomodate for the fuel injection/fuel pump set up or whats the best set up.

How about suspension any problems their?

Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
In short:
  • You can fit the motor and keep AC/heat
  • You will need a different driveshaft if you use a 4L60E/80E/T56/etc.
  • Aftermarket harnesses are available to make the swap easier (Speartech and Painless come to mind, but they're not cheap)
  • I don't believe actual G-Body headers are available, but people have used others (I think F-Body)
  • An aftermarket pan is available from Moroso to fit in many of the muscle cars without hanging below the crossmember (won't fit rear-steer cars like the F-Body)
  • You can use your stock tank, but may need to upgrade your pump (I'd do it regardless if I was undertaking a swap of this magnitude)

I recall seeing a link here on the board for a set of motor mounts/crossmember to pretty much bolt in an LS/T56. I may go this route, but I'm not sure (my plans are a 6.0/T56).

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
BRP sells a complete kit with mountsand x-members specifically for the LS G-body swaps, theres a link in this thread with the details.

A

Anonymous

here ya go....i can provide part #s if needed

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58932&highlight=

mine is a 81 frame, 84 front clip....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts