Rear side window molding queation

bigsteve

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2009
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
I need to replace the the outside window molding. Side window. The thin rubber one with the chrome insert along the bottom of the window. Do I have to remove the side glass to do this?
Thanks - Steve

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
The rear quarter windows are held in with butyl rubber and metal clips, the molding you are talking about is sandwiched between the glass and the body with butyl acting as a adhesive/gasket. When I replaced mine I pulled all of that out and cleaned the butyl off of everything, put it all back together the same way (using butyl) and couldn't get it to stop leaking. I ended up taking them back out, cleaning them up again and using urethane windshield adhesive to glue them back in. I haven't had a leak since then. This was back in 2003 when I was working at a bodyshop and had access to OEM type butyl btw

Doug If yours came out without taking things apart you got lucky brother.....if it didn't leak after you put new ones in you should play the lottery more....:D

this is for a 2 door btw..... never had the rear of a 4 door apart so I'm not sure on them lol

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
DOUG213XRJ said:
I don`t think I did when I did mine. Doug
I`m sorry, I was taking about the Door window molding. Yes, To remove the quarter window molding the interior panel and the quarter window needs to be removed. Doug

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
yeah the OP didn't really specify did he...I read it the first time as the rear windows....looking at it now I'm not sure. LOL oops

well if you meant the front windows Doug's right, you don't have to take them out, you might have to loosen the lower window stop (looks like a little shelf with a flat piece of rubber on it at about the center of the window glass) and drop it down to get the glass below the screws....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts