Rear deck speakers

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Got new 6x9's for christmas. How in the hell do you put these in? tried mounting from underneath screws aren't long enough. Tried mounting from up top, speakers wont sit in the hole. Do i have to cut the metal? Really getting me P-O'ed

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Stock speakers are 4x10's IIRC. You have to cut the rear deck to let the 6x9's sit flush. Last time I did this was in '94 on my current car so it's been awhile LOL

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
well the speakers we took out are 6x9 and they were mounted underneath but fit perfect. so I'm not too sure.

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
does the new speakers have a plastic spacer between the speaker and decklid ? mabye the old set didn't have a spacer and thats why the screws won't fit. just a thought. you did say the old set was 6X9 and they fit.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
well the new ones do have a spacer, like most new speakers id assume. and the old ones did not. but the ovals in the decklid are 4 1/2 by 7 1/2 which would imply 5 x 8 speakers. yet i got 6x9's for christmas, it looks like if i cut the hole bigger for 6x9's to fit, the way the lid is made it has the skinny lip around the top which makes it level. then the belt bends down and back up as a structure thing, to make it stronger like the floors. so in a way there would be alot of modifying to do. how else do you people get 6x9's to fit? id like to find some pictures of the process of making the ovals bigger or at least a description from someone.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
i could just get 2 inch sheet metal screws and bolt them to the bottom and the grills up top for now, but im one of those guys where i get pi**ed off its not done correctly. or else it bothers the sh*t out of me.

44-bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2011
Harbor Beach, MI
if you took your new 6X9 spacer and held it up to the opening and marked the inside of the spacer against the opening with a marker you should be able to cut the excess metal off with a cut-off wheel or a jig saw with a metal cutting blade then you would have to drill some new holes for the new speakers. thats all i can think of. i don't think removing that lip would hurt anything. or you can wait for someone else to chime in with another idea. good luck. post up some pic's if you do something different i'd like to know if there is another way myself.

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
AFAIK the stock rear speakers were 4 x 10. My 79 MC and my 82 Mali were, at least, in my experience. My solution in both cases was these adapters: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=7786#tabsanchor You bolt the adapters to the speakers and use the metal "wishbone" to hold them in place.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Malibus have 6x9s. If they don't fit you'll likely need to drop some machine screws through, secure them with a nut, then mount the speakers with additional nuts. It's what I did with mine.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
My malibu did not come with rear speakers, when I added 6x9's I had the speakers under the shelf and the grills on the inside. I think I just got longer screws, but that was 10 years ago

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts