Rear backspacing on a 81 Malibu with 17 x9.5?

A

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend the correct backspacing or the backspacing that worked for them? We have the front set up with a 17x8 w/4.5 backspacing and a 255x40x17 BFG Super Sport A/S. We are wanting to run a 17x9.5 on the rear, but with it being so tight on the rear of these cars, we wanted to know if anyone else has gotten a 17x9.5 to work without any major modifying or trimming? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, we're wanting to run a 275x40x17 tire on the rear.

Thanks,

--
Chris

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Things will be tight with a 275 wide tire. You will most likely have to take measurements to make sure that the rear axle is centered in the car.

I measured mine. The rear is 3/8's of an inch off center towards the drivers side. Right now it has 275/40/17's on the back., mounted on 17x9 inch wheels with 50 mm of offset. The are mounted using a 2 inch spacer. The drivers side fit perfect as is. The passenger side has two 1/4 inch spacers to move the wheel out enough to miss the frame.

Some other specs you might be interested in... The wheels are 17x9. They measure 10 inches from outside edge of the rim to outside edge (total width). They have 7 inches of back spacing, and with a 2 inch adapter, have 5 inches of back space.. Total back space including tire is 5 1/4 inches if you include the adapter.

Scot

A

Anonymous

So would you recommend not running the 17x9.5 and 275/40/17 on the rear? The wheels I'm looking at don't come in 9" width, only the 17x9.5, but I guess I could look around at other wheels. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

--
Chris

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
It's not that I don't recomend it. It's that it will be a tight fit.

I am not sure of the effect of a 9.5 vs the 9 inch rim. I think that mine are 10.5 inches total width, and the 9.5 wide rim may make it slightly wider, but not much.

Do you have a chance to test fit a tire adn rim before you buy?

Scot

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately not. I wish I had a chance to fit a wheel that size, but I don't think that's going to be an option. Thanks for the help.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I'm running an 18x10 with a 5" backspace and 275 tire...they fit just fine with no mods other than a rolled lip, just make sure you are centered and if not figure out why

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks guys! I'm putting in a currie enterprises 9" rear end and a Hotchkis TVS kit, so I'll be sure everything is centered when we get these put in.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts