QP vs Strange 9" - am I missing something?

ElCaturbo

Weekend Racer
Jul 17, 2012
meridian, ms
I've been reading up on the few issues with the Quick Performance bolt-in rears - leaky wheel bearings, shock mounting, mostly. Then the only axles offered are QP's own, or Moser (the first unknown quality, the latter could be better).

Housing/axle package from both Currie & Moser are significantly more money than the QP.

So I was kinda surprised to find in the Strange catalog that their bolt-in housing is right around $600, and axles/bearings/etc. are just under $400. And the Strange housing comes with fill/drain plugs, which on the QP are extra money. And the Strange, like the Moser (I had one a while back), is built with brackets that look to be duplicates of the OEM brackets, so no shock mounting issue like you get with brackets that look to be made from carved-up square tubing.

So the same parts from Strange come in at around $1000, vs lesser quality stuff for $745.

My puzzlement is this: with that little difference in price, and the obvious benefit of better parts, why do so many go with the QP setup?

junk racing

Amateur Racer
got a strange 9'' in my car and it has been awesome. The lower brackets have multiple holes for the lower control arm etc. I got mine fully built 35 spline pro axles spool, nodular iron pro case, back brace and strange pro disc brakes so it was a good chunk of money but buy it once and not have to worry

tubage

Frequent Racer
Dec 29, 2006
missouri
strengthtruth.com
I have a moser bolt in, in my car and the sway bar no longer fits and the shocks are very compromised on the housing mount. I would love to swap housings for one that actually fits correctly. Sounds like the strange might be the way to go. Chris

Purcell Racing

Weekend Racer
Jun 10, 2011
Mineral Wells, Texas
I run the QP nine inch and I've never had any problems. Bolted up fine and no leaks

ElCaturbo

Weekend Racer
Jul 17, 2012
meridian, ms
tubage said:
I have a moser bolt in, in my car and the sway bar no longer fits and the shocks are very compromised on the housing mount. I would love to swap housings for one that actually fits correctly. Sounds like the strange might be the way to go. Chris

That's weird... I had a Moser housing (though it was many years ago) and I don't recall there being any difference in the lower brackets from the stock pieces. I can't find a pic of Moser's brackets on their site, and Currie's site is down right now, but they have good pics of what they use (look just like new, stock GM brackets) and from what I remember they're the same as what was on my Moser housing.

edit: Found a pic of the Currie parts I had saved...

edit2: The sway bar issue is that the bar hits the bottom of the center section, correct?

Attachments

• CE-7012G-.jpg
    CE-7012G-.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,673

Purcell Racing

Weekend Racer
Jun 10, 2011
Mineral Wells, Texas
tubage said:
Purcell Racing said:
I run the QP nine inch and I've never had any problems. Bolted up fine and no leaks

Can you still run a factory type rear sway bar?

How about the lower shock mount alignment?

Yes sir. Sway bar still worked and the shocks still mounted up in the correct place. Here's a pic for u all to c

IMAG0104.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts