Power Window switch wiring fix

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I used a camaro console from the 80s in my elky and I used the camaro switches they work great... they were brand new from GM and as for the wiring I got it out of a 80s Fiero from the wrecking yard, it is almost the same as the camaro one and plugs right inot the switch and works great and they all used the same motors from 79-whenever so they plug into the motors correctly if they are wrong it is only 2 wires so you jsut switch them. I don;t know how much you are willing to do but if you have new switches and you have good plugs for the switchs then just run new wires, that is essentially what all of what I did equated to.
I hope this helps it was a lot of work finding what works with our cars and what doesn;t but in the end maybe you will come up with an easier way ;)
-Josh

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
I've never had a problem with the wiring other than it coming off the back of the switch, and that was solved with the correct retaining nut. If it's just slowness, then it's due to old motors more than anything.

Older chevys also have fairly slow windows, it's how they were new too. The switches are on the help rack if that's your problem. My driveway has had several 200K G bodies, never an issue with the wiring. shrug.gif

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
in both my Montes, the connections made to the switch are suspect.. they work intermittently, on the drivers side. but this could be the switch itself too. i figure id rather go in a replace them both.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Mine was the switch that was causing problems, it would intermittanly not work, or it would roll both windows up or down when only one button was used. I got a new switch and it didn;t help so I just get new wires, and new switches. I think as long as it works it doens't matter how you get it to work. As for having old cars that works that is great I wish mine was that way but it seems everything needs fixing on it. LOL
-Josh

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
footbrake

Tony, When you said that you bang the switches and they work . I had a malibu that I had to hold the switch and pound the door panel to get them to work.
SIMPLE FIX!!!!! Ground on the motor is not good. Not the switch. Get a piece of wire and attach it to the motor and then ground it somewhere inside the door and your problem is over

A

Anonymous

try a little di-electric (sp?) grease on the switch connections, and the ground. Keeps the moisture out of the contact.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts