pick which type of pistons

Apr 12, 2008
NE South Dakota
i am getting new pistons slapped in my old 70 350 4 bolt block which wears 441 (76cc)cast heads ported@polished with 2.02/1.6 vlaves. i plan on using flat top pistons which with 0 deck = about 9.1/9.2 compresion which should be great on pump gas. future plans would be a 100 or 150 shot of nos but that would maybe be a couple times a year at the track. block is stock excpet for arp rod bolts. this car will be a weekend street cruiser once restored. i am told that forged pistons will not last as long as hypers and are not needed for small shots of nos, unless the engine is constantly abused which i have no intention. i hope this engine lasts a good 100k. i only plan on doing the engine once. set of speed pro hypers are $230 a kit and forged about $300. i know of guys with cast pistons using nos and haven't blown up yet and recomend me using hypers. so is forged really mandatory?

cdeezy2003

Amateur Racer
Jul 15, 2007
xenia, ohio
with hypers jus be sure your fuel/nitrous pressures are correct, they are stronger than cast but more brittle due to the silicon content. if you run lean or detonate it could cause prallems with those pistons. i dunno who said that forged pistons were weaker, but i wouldnt agree. there not mandatory for smaller shots but its a good piece of mind. plus you will prally want more later on even though you dont think so now, with a good bottom end built while your doing it youll be able to do what you want instead of what you can.(due to bottom end limitations)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts