odd relay issue...

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
i have my fans and fuel pump in the s10 connected to relays with their own wiring harnesses i use a switch on the ground side to activate them. for some reason my fans turn on for a second when power is supplied to the relay (switch off) and i can also hear my fuel pump working (switch off) but not at full capacity. what gives? i thought switching the ground was the best way to do it.

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
Toggle switches aren't meant to be used as a grounding source or trigger to ground if that's what you're using. Are you using a 2-way with +12V on one side and a ground on the other? Does it connect to a grounding junction of some sort before going to your devices as ground? It sounds like it's all trying to ground through the toggle switch. If that's the case, that switch is gonna get real hot fast.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You should always switch the positive side of a dc circuit. You're at the risk of not being able to shut the fans or fuel pump off if the switch fails closed or the ground wire gets shorted to ground. It sounds like you're backfeeding somewhere.

Tommy

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
all the switches do is complete the ground on the relays to activate them, the relays are powered by the ignition switch. i think i found the problem though, the siwtches i had have lights in them i think its feeding thorugh the light. ill try some plain switches and see if it still does it

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
540Malibu said:
all the switches do is complete the ground on the relays to activate them, the relays are powered by the ignition switch. i think i found the problem though, the siwtches i had have lights in them i think its feeding thorugh the light. ill try some plain switches and see if it still does it

My point exactly. You should be "breaking" the 12 VDC + side of the relay coil, not the ground. It's more or less basic electricity 101. :lol:

Tommy

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
LS6 Tommy said:
540Malibu said:

My point exactly. You should be "breaking" the 12 VDC + side of the relay coil, not the ground. It's more or less basic electricity 101. :lol:

Tommy

eh? they are switched on the neg. side by the FAST computer?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts