New daily driver, need help with emissions crap.

Coupe Devil

Daily Driver
Dec 24, 2008
Seattle/Kent, WA
Picked up an 81 4 door malibu on friday. It's a completely stock 3.8. I had to leave for 4th of july weekend immediately, and didn't have time to go through it. I have never owned a carbed v6. I'm using this as a daily driver to get back and forth the the 79 i'm building.

Is there a decent article somewhere, or someone that has some time to explain how to get rid of all of the emissions stuff? the air pump, all those damn hoses and lines? I wanted to give it a complete tune up before driving it anywhere far, but i can't even see the plugs and wires with all this crap attached to the engine. I'll get some pics if needed. Any help at all would be useful.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
81 will have a computer, so I would leave it and live with it especially since you mentioned it will be a temporary ride. You can still access the plugs, they are just harder to get to.

A

Anonymous

Is it the chevy V-6 or the Buick?

If it's the Chevy I would take off all of the emissions crap, heat shields, Computer, etc.

That's what I did on mine!

Trickbu

2doorBu

Frequent Racer
Sounds like me, I just picked up an 83 cutlass with the 3.8 as I build my 81 malibu back. I want to remove all the emissions junk so that it is cleaner and easier to maintain.

Coupe Devil

Daily Driver
Dec 24, 2008
Seattle/Kent, WA
I hear ya. I cant get to anything, and im afraid that if i start unplugging things ill forget where they go. I mean the amount of hoses on this thing are INSANE.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It is not all that difficult. I suggest you get a shop manual. If not, take lots of pictures.

If you start removing stuff, you will also need to get another carburetor and distributor (pre 1981; no computer).

Your mileage will also decrease.

I changed the 305 in my 1983 wagon to a 350 and retained all of the emissions crap. I survived and so have many others...so will you.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts