is it a 2004r or a 700r4?

A

Anonymous

I just bought an 80 Malibu Classic with a 3.8 V6. I know its an automatic (duh) with an overdrive but I'm not sure what one. The seller also told me it has a 2.29:1 rearend. I just want to be sure. I've had guys tell me it is each one, but I would like a definate answer. I'm sure either would be fine behind a 5.3 or even a 6.0 LS motor but tell me what you think. Would rebuilding one save $$$ over a used, stock 4L60E or 4L80E? Or would the newer ones be better?
Jake

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
it's easy to tell,if the pan is square it's a 700r4 if the pan has a slice out of the corner
of the pan it's a 2004r........good luck.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If it's stock with a 2.29 it probably won't be overdrive (far as I know Malibus never came with o/d transmissions), and the corner slice is a TH350, 2004Rs are more of a funky shape, like the TH400 is (funky, not the same shape). It may be a TH350 with lockup, which would sound like an o/d trans because the converter locks up once you're at speed.
transpan.gif

Those are the most common. My guess lies with a TH350, if it actually is overdrive it's a 2004R, 700R4 didn't come out until later (unless that's been swapped in).

The reason I say it's likely not an overdrive transmission, with a .7:1 gear ratio and 26" tire (fairly common passenger car tire size), you would have to be going over 80mph in order to even be close to the beginning of that small engine's power band (1600rpm @ 80mph, 2.29s, .7:1 o/d ratio, 26" tire).

A

Anonymous

Hey, thanks for the pan pictures. I'll definately be checking this tomorrow afternoon when I get back home.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts