installing c-clip elimantors, spool, and gear

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
I have axle kit from strange with spool and a gear set. Going to start on this over the weekend. Does anyone have any advice or a good link for setting up the gear and cutting the tubes for c-clip eliminators? Hoping I don't screw this up too bad, Thankful for any advice, from any experienced with this procedure.

malibuj

Dragway Regular
May 6, 2007
Lancaster PA
Make sure you have some good drill bits, At hand.. (for the new holes you gotta drill)

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
got plenty of drill bits, more concerned about getting the tubes cut straight and in the correct place.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Do the instructions tell you to leave a lip for the C-clip eliminators? This is used to line up the backing plate to the rear. Put a ring of masking tape around the tube and scribe a line. Using the tape all the way around helps keep a straight line. I use a sawzall and a long blade.

1980bbmalibu

Daily Driver
Jul 12, 2011
It said to leave .05 lip on tube. I got the tubes cut, got the ends chamfered, got all holes drilled, and welded the tubes to center section. Surprised at how smoothly it has gone so far. Now if I can get the ring and pinion set correctly I'll be in business.
One of the pins that goes through top of backing plate that brake shoes center on broke off when removing. Are these available anywhere, or junk yard item?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts