How to Remove Glove Box Lock Without Key???

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
That video is more geared towards replacement not lost key. With the glove box closed and locked doesn't give access to the inside like shown in the video.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The hinge screws are on the outside of the glove box. If you remove those screws, you should be able to have access to screws that mount the bar that the latch grabs onto.

You may have to first remove the screws that mount the liner to the door, but those should be accessible once you remove the bottom hinge screws.

twfurst

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2011
Norwich, CT
That video was the first I watched, and although the process is the same with the paperclip through the hole, for the g-body version the key is required. I spent two hours with no luck the other night. I believe the key is needed to move the tumblers to where the paperclip can release them.

Did get a call back from a locksmith yesterday, kinda pricey so not sure if I am going to go that route, wanted $165 to make two keys, which dropped to $125 when I told him I already removed a lock from my drivers door for him to use. For $130 or so i can buy a new set of door/truck locks and a glove box door with key off eBay. Either way, need to sell this truck in my yard before I can go either way on it.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
holy cow! that's steep.do you want me to get a price from the guy I've used in the past? your not far from me and if it's cheaper than that you could send me the lock cylinder to have a key made?

twfurst

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2011
Norwich, CT
Well I've decided to forgo the locksmith. I cut the inner plastic around the lock mounting area. I figure this, I am mounting my ignition box in the glove box, and do not intend to lock it at any point, and I can easily replace door and trunk locks myself. Once I get my door dyed, and all reassembled I will see how applying some RTV, or other black sealant looks in terms of cleaning up the cut.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts