How strong is a 8.5 dif.... REALLY

Monte LS...1

Daily Driver
Aug 14, 2009
My buddy has a lsx nova. Originally it was a t56 with a 8.5. Had some good parts in it, but kept twisting or breaking axles in it. If it wasn't that it was breaking the input shaft in the T56 which was built with all the good stuff in it. The motor is 370 cubes with a blower making 800hp and 7xx torque.

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
Monte LS...1 said:
My buddy has a lsx nova. Originally it was a t56 with a 8.5. Had some good parts in it, but kept twisting or breaking axles in it. If it wasn't that it was breaking the input shaft in the T56 which was built with all the good stuff in it. The motor is 370 cubes with a blower making 800hp and 7xx torque.

Which input shaft was he using? The viper 26 (?) spline input shaft is supposed to be pretty strong. I've never had trans problems yet but my last engine didn't have this much power.

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
Hey guys!
After a few months of watching this post it seems very few have an exceptional or practical advice (other than Monte LS...1 and TRZ Motorsports) to offer in the way of REAL or experienced use of an 8.5 dif in a high HP application..... NO offense intended, I was simply looking for POSITIVE criticism)

I decided the safe bet was to build a Dana 60 and will post pics and build details later on as the project progresses. I know the STRANGE dif is available and is a quality,bolt in deal, but I'm working on a REALLY tight budget. Do it Myself,save $$. I know you understand.
Cheers!!

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I don't know what kind of clutch that You plan on running but I can tell You that I have found that a clutch with a pressure plate that is adjustable is a must. I try to keep mine so it will slip a little when I launch and shift. A clutch that will slip is alot easier on parts and will help the rearend,trans and drive shaft live. I just tighten My clutch back up when I drive it on the street.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Quick79 was running 5.60s with low 1.3X short times off the trans brake. I have one from a GN and was running 6.50s with it completely stock. Now it is all Moser, 33 spline, spool, but still with the stock GM 3.42s. Low 1.4X 60s off the trans brake.

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
kevind said:
I don't know what kind of clutch that You plan on running but I can tell You that I have found that a clutch with a pressure plate that is adjustable is a must. I try to keep mine so it will slip a little when I launch and shift. A clutch that will slip is alot easier on parts and will help the rearend,trans and drive shaft live. I just tighten My clutch back up when I drive it on the street.

Are you running a t56? If so which shifter are you using? Are you using a hydraulic TOB or clutch fork?

I was having problems with my slave cylinder. Headers passing within 3/16" of the slave, boiling the fluid. All of a sudden after burn out....no pedal! Bought a Mcleod hyd TOB and hoping that wiill solve the problem.

Currently using A center force with a 6 puck ceramic disk. Seemed to do ok behind my 496 (approx 600 hp) Not so sure for the 632.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts