Hi amp Alt swap

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
I am looking to put a hi output alt. on my 79 Bu 355 drag car. I have the stock one on now and it doesn't seem to beable to recharge my battery enough while the car is running.

What GM car has a Hi output one that will bolt up to my sbc that I can find at the junk yard. It will be a low mount set up so if there is one that is on the small side that would be helpful also.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Cs series alt off late model gm. 140 amp available. for application try early 90's camaro or maybe pick up.You will have to adapt the wiring ,an adapter is available at napa etc.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Okay-look for an alt. from an 88 Olds Firenza with a 4 cyl. It is a serp. style but its easy to swap pulleys, it puts out 90 amps and has 12 and 6 clocking positions. Perfect alt. for swapping using stock v-belts. I prefer serp. swaps altogether but this alt. works very well. Make sure to grab to pigtail, too. The brown wire goes to a 12V IGN source for the regulator excitor circuit. Happy huntin'!

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
84 85 Camaro or Trans am v-belt 94 amp. this info was on mad enterprises website, and what i told them i had when i went to the parts store.
mysp007.jpg

ImportThis

Daily Driver
Feb 7, 2010
to replace the factory 10SI style low amp alternator, go to a alternator rebuilder, or an O'Reilly's and hope someone knows what a Lester #7802 alternator is.. if they can figure that out, you got you a 105 amp alternator that will work in place of your factory.. The plug in is different, but conversion plug from 10SI to CS130 are easy to find.. hope this helps..

i just did that swap and a 90 Chevy Caprice CS alternator has the 12 o'clock mounting and already had a v-belt pulley on it, its a 105 amp also!!

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
make sure if you add a true 100+ amps to add a larger
wire to take advantage of your new powerhouse

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts