Fiberglass Question

A

Anonymous

Hello All. Still working on my 80 elky and got some questions maybe someone can help me with.

While I am experienced with bondo and bodywork, etc, I have absolutely no experience with fiberglass.

The problem I have relates to a fiberglass nose piece and rear roll pan from Lauren Engineering. I've had them a good while (years) and bought them from a guy that didn't use them. They are old.

Anyway, the dang things don't line up well at all. The body line down the bottom of the fenders don't line up with the body line on the fiberglass parts, and the nose doesn't line up with the hood (when everything else is lined up).

Lauren Engineering says to use plastic filler/bondo to straighten these things out on the fiberglass parts since these cars very so much in alignment.

My question is do you think this is a good idea? Putting bondo over the glass? Should I use a special filler? There are places where I can see this filler being 1/4-3/8 inch thick in order to get the lines right. I know how to use filler, but never on fiberglass.

Anyone experienced? Got any advice?

Thanks,
Mike

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
This is whatI have done at work restoring old Corvettes. Bondo is OK but I use duraglass (fibreglass based bondo) to make any major shanges in the shape of a part. first sand the gelcoat with 36 grit in the area of the change THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT or your bondo work will fall off shortly. Then when the part is say 90% right then a skim coat of regular bondo then to fill the bondo sandscratches a quick coat of glaze then prime. If you need more help let me know.good luck

A

Anonymous

Thanks for helping me out. I appreciate it.

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
Z-man said:
This is whatI have done at work restoring old Corvettes. Bondo is OK but I use duraglass (fibreglass based bondo) to make any major shanges in the shape of a part. first sand the gelcoat with 36 grit in the area of the change THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT or your bondo work will fall off shortly. Then when the part is say 90% right then a skim coat of regular bondo then to fill the bondo sandscratches a quick coat of glaze then prime. If you need more help let me know.good luck
:thumbsup: agreed. Sanding the gelcoat is very important!

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
here in canada we use marglass which would be the same as the duraglass, to help with forming the glass get some wax paper put the mixture on that slap it on the body panel and form it to what you need. It will be easier to sand after to, and the wax paper comes right off after the glass is hard.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts