Bu Harvest (LS1 swap thread)

4RCEPWRD

Aug 10, 2009
In a galaxy far, far away....
I figured I'd start a swap thread as I have many questions. I finally graduated so I now have time to start this project. I picked up a LS1/4l60e from a 2001 SS with 80K. I am currently working on tearing down the engine to freshen up gaskets etc... I also have to pull the heads, because there's a busted manifold bolt that needs to be drilled. I'm not going to get too crazy with the build; I just have a tame cam and headers in mind. Its going to be a daily driver, and it will probably never see the track. I'm also getting the
front end all cleaned up/painted. I've got a steering rebuild kit from Spohn, Bilsteins, new springs, and rebushed the a-arms to freshen up the suspension. I do have a few questions to get started though.

1. I'm really having a hard time deciding what motor plates to go with. I'm leaning towards the transdapt ones, but I was curious about using the stock location ones or the 1" offset variety? I want to keep the AC, and if possible use the F-body pan (if I don't have to
mod it; otherwise, I'll just pick up the CTSV pan) What would be my best option here.

2. I was wondering about the fuel system. I kind of don't want to buy a new tank. I was wanting some part numbers of the pump and other goodies any of you guys have to used to do this externally so that I could keep my stock tank.

This is probably going to be a slow swap, because I'm learning along the way and want to do it right. Plus, I'm soon to be on a teacher's salary so funds may be tight for awhile.
:-({|=

Attachments

• Malibu3.jpg
    Malibu3.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,920
  • ls1-1.jpg
    ls1-1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,918
  • ls1-3.JPG
    ls1-3.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,917

4RCEPWRD

Aug 10, 2009
Thread Resurrection!

Well, the LS1 is out the door. I got shafted on the deal. Guy told me it was a "good running" engine, but when I tore it down: trashed thrust bearing, bent rod, rusty cylinder :x Suuure it was a good running engine with a knock that probably sounded like the Sheriffs dept. before they kick your door down (if it even ran at all). Anyways after selling what I could to recoup my loss I got a 2005 5.3L and decided to go carb. Build has been going slow, but its coming together. Staying with stock heads and got a mild cam spec'd by PatG over on Tech: 214/218 .559/.563 111+4. Also going with the Performer intake with a 650 dp. Also got Jim at JDRACE to build me a nice 8.8 w/3:55's. Should be a fun little street machine when I'm done...

Attachments

• buttoned up 2.JPG
    buttoned up 2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,518
  • out with the old.jpg
    out with the old.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,520
  • 8.8 ford Gbody 3.55 rear 008.jpg
    8.8 ford Gbody 3.55 rear 008.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,521

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
That setup should make pretty decent power. Sucks your first engine was junk though.

4RCEPWRD

Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, I was pretty irritated about the LS1. Had to sell what I could: block, trans, ls6 intake, etc...barely made back any of what I spent. However, I did get to keep all the accessories and brackets that I'm using for the 5.3L so I just look at it that way, a very expensive set of accessories. :lol:

The cam should be pretty stealthy and have some good low to midrange power. Just want to daily drive this thing, and perhaps catch a few people boring.gif on me.

G-BUDDY

Jan 20, 2011
nice thread guy i got a 80 bu with a 5.3 i wanted to just shove in there but after reading your thread it makes me wanna just take my time and go thru it inch by inch well see how funds are keep them pics coming for more motivation and keep up the good work....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts