Brake switch?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
What kind of setup are you guys running for a brake switch to disable the lockup torque converter? Pictures?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Nevermind, I think I'll just install a relay and use the normally closed side for the torque converter lockup, and the normally open side for the brake lights.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
What signal does the computer take? I think on my '88 (TBI) pickup it was a +12v to the computer to disengage the converter.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
Not trying to thread jack here, but I am definitely interested on how the tcc and brake switch are wired up. Its for this reason why I'm leaning toward going the carb route and using a 700-r4 with the lockup kit.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Deuce4935 said:
Not trying to thread jack here, but I am definitely interested on how the tcc and brake switch are wired up. Its for this reason why I'm leaning toward going the carb route and using a 700-r4 with the lockup kit.

The TCC needs to have 12V all the time (ignition 12V). When the brake pedal is pressed, it should remove 12V to disengage the TCC. I found a simple fix by doing a search on LS1Tech.com. It is a "Stop Light Switch" from Autozone for a 96 Camaro. It has connections for 6 wires, which is for the brake lights and the TCC. Connect the normally open pins to the brake lights and the normally closed to the TCC circuit. I haven't got one yet, but plan on getting one to check out. It's only $5.99 too! I'll let you know if it works out.

Don't know if the link will work, but here it is:
http://www.autozone.com/R,1009479/vehicleId,2139502/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,53/partType,00132/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Here's a picture:
wl2dr461003.jpg

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
The switch from AutoZone should work great. It will screw right into place with no mounting modifications and will control the brake lights and the TCC circuit to unlock the torque converter when the brake pedal is pressed. Here's a picture with some instructions:

brake_switch_2.JPG

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts