Beating a Dead Horse here, but???

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I've searched so many times and with so many results on this, but my LS engine is coming back from the machine shop within a week or so and I need to gather the stuff to put this in my 79 Bu. I'd like the Hooker mounts, or similar, but would like the engine to sit 1" BACK from stock, if possible. To anyone who's actually GOT an LS engine in their Malibu, what motor mounts and oil pan did you guys use, without hacking up the frame's crossmember? I hear CTS-V oil pan...F Body oil pan...Holley oil pan...this fits, that doesn't fit, oh my God! I'm going nuts! I don't mind spending $$$ if it's well thought out, and everything fits the first time....I'd hate to mock up 3 different oil pans with different motor mounts, etc...sorry to ramble on about this...anybody who's done this, can you give me some pointers? Thanks a LOT!!

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
I have the carshop inc 1" setback plates and the f-body pan will clear the crossmember. However it is very close. When I swapped out my 4.8 for the 6.0 I ended up going with the cts pan and it has tons of clearance. The air box will need to be modified slightly for clearance with the valve cover, but is very simple to do.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I went with the BRP kits for my 83 Wagon. The install kit includes the mounts and trans crossmember. The oil pan kit includes the pan, tray, dipstick and dipstick tube.
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BRP&Category_Code=CNV6

It all fit, including the lower mounted A/C compressor and Alternator without having to modify the frame rails or crossmember.

As for setting it back 1", you'll have to modify the air box as mandengo says. It's very close in the "stock" position.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Thanks guys. I have no heater box on the firewall. It's been deleted. I'm just wanting a tiny bit better weight bias by moving the engine back 1". It's not that big of a deal if I don't though. I can't see spending almost $500 for that BRP kit. The motor mounts look nice, but that crossmember? Looks flimsy as heck, and I plan on using a TH2004R trans. I might end up fabricating my own, or using an Iceman one. I can probably just get the motor mounts seperately,too. I'm still waiting on pics from another member on here who has motor mounts and an oil pan for me...so I might get those as well.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I moved the motor back to the firewall, used the stock pan even and have plenty of room.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I have BRP mounts and headers, and an Iceman trans crossmember. I've also got the GMPP Musclecar pan kit. Fits great only downside to the BRP mounts is it limits your header choices. With that said I have the BRP headers.

The Holley pan is just a shorter Musclecar pan.

bigseth

Jun 24, 2007
Charlotte NC
I used BG's mounts.. They worked great and I will use them for any of my future swaps because they allow you to mount the engine forward 1", backwards 1", or in the std position... Plus they look really good too, people always look to see how I mounted the engine to the frame and comment on how nice they are.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I have "The car shop" 1'' setback plates and stock SBC mounts and I have a Iceman transmission crossmemeber.
With this setup I was able to use a F-body oil pan and F-body long tube headers. Of corse the pass. header needed some "persuasion" on one of the primaries but I managed to make it fit pretty well.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
bigseth said:
I used BG's mounts.. They worked great and I will use them for any of my future swaps because they allow you to mount the engine forward 1", backwards 1", or in the std position... Plus they look really good too, people always look to see how I mounted the engine to the frame and comment on how nice they are.
I bought the same mounts from BG.....they are really nice. Haven't used them yet, and probably won't for a while. But, I do like the adjustability of them. I am trying to find an accessory drive, and because I'm using an iron block, am having a very hard time finding anything. I really LOVE the March pulley setup, but their tech said it won't work with the iron block, as it is missing a hole that's needed for a bracket. And, no, it's not the one I could drill and tap. There is a hole in the driver's side of the aluminum block that does not exist in the iron blocks. Really sucks. I will not use the truck system. Way too ugly and tall. If it comes down to it, I will wait for the aftermarket to offer a system for the truck blocks. I've got another bu to keep me busy. Somebody has to offer one sooner or later. I hope...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts