BBC swap in 79 Bu

awbrooks496

Weekend Racer
Apr 21, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
Alright ,I have a mild :lol: 496 that I built for another car. That car is on hold right now, so I am thinking about putting it in the 79 Bu. The Malibu does have A/C and I don't really want to rip it all out. I guess I would like to know what you guys are running (motor mounts, headers, etc) for a BBC swap. I have found some old threads that have pics of Malibu's that are running A/C and tall valve covers. What are the secrets to the swap? Any information would be great.

ratengine

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2008
Chicago, IL
I just droped in a mild rebuilt 10.1 comp with 781 heads 461 BBC tons of torque with a turbo 400 trans. Went into 79 Elcamino, had a 305 and 200 trans that has air. Get ready for MANY MANY mods. For starters you can use your stock SB mtr mounts both for block and frame. BBC mounts in the same location for sbc frame mounts. I used 70 chevelle BBC headman headers 1 3/4 pipes had to dimple them a little on both passanger and drivers sides, but they will clear starter and oil filter . I can only fit stock height valve covers with AC box left in. SB springs are new and correct for swap. I got to use the stock 3 core rad and 7 blade clutch fan, along with stock fan shroud. BBC stock 5 quart oil pan fits fine. Got to keep stock coloum shifter had to mod it for 400. Drive shaft change if going with a 400 and new crossmember but 350 turbo just bolt up. Also had to extend starter wire and alternator leads. Get ready to have a lot of fun. Hope it helps some. Dave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts