427 tall block

cjuvinall81

Sep 2, 2015
I have the opportunity to pick up a 427 tall deck block that has been checked over and cleared, I've always ran small blocks in the past any and all info would be great, yes I've been doing research on it but if anyone has any experience it would be very appreciated

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Don't. It's a lo-po, low compression, high torque, low RPM truck engine and there are no aftermarket performance intake manifolds for them. They also need pretty much custom pistons. You will also need a taller distributor. They usually have a LOT of miles on them, too, so plan on boring...

Tommy

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
There are parts available for them. People have been building race engines out of them for years. You put a .400" longer rod in it and use any shelf stock piston you want. Intake manifolds are more limited to single plane designs unless you want to use intake spacers which was the common fix. You buy a distributor with a slip collar and they fit right in.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

They put the heads farther out and it makes header fit a pain in the butt. It raises the intake manifold higher to become a hood clearance issue. Tall deck blocks are .400" taller in the deck, and then if you use an aluminum head, most heads raise the exhaust port more in most cases. Alternator brackets can be a pain, since it moves the lower mount for the alternator out more. So if you are looking to build a race motor, then maybe. But otherwise I would skip the fitment and clearance issues and go with a standard deck height block.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts