383? is it worth the chance?

bigg502

Daily Driver
Sep 27, 2008
Loretto, Ky
I just acquired a 350 .030 over that 's very fresh on the build the pistons have hardly changed yet so the cross hatch is still in the cylinder walls I just tore it down to short block and was thinking of putting a 400 crank in it I need a new harmonic balancer anyway what do you guys think is it worth it . it has standard 350 rods speed pro hyper... pistons flat tops with 4 valve reliefs in it the heads are fresh vortec's with all the machine work done to accept the 515 lift cam in it what kind of compression ratio would I be running if I were ? couldnt I just ored a 400 crank kit with the bearings and put it in. and maybe in the future putting on a 100 0r 150 shot of juice just in case . Oh by the way it's going in a s10 shortbed 2wd. My bu is going to get a resto so I need a toy to play with

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
If the pistons were for a 350 and You don't change the rods or the pistons then your piston will stick out the top of the block. One more thing a 400 main is bigger around than a 350. You will also need a small base circle cam or grind some of the rod bolts.

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
You will have to replace either the rods or the pistons to make it work.
Also the mains on a 400 crank are larger than the 350 crank.
If you use a stock 400 crank then you will need to have it ground to fit the 350 journal size, you will also need to clearance the block, if you use the stock 350 rods you need to clearance the rods so that they don't hit the cam, You also should have everything balanced because of the lighter rotating assembly, and you will need a 400 flexplate.
My .02

Andy

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
You also have to clearance the block for the crank.

bigg502

Daily Driver
Sep 27, 2008
Loretto, Ky
thanks guys I believe I'll just stick to my original plan and get back to driving it. the original combo should be fine for a while a little while that is

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts